July 15, 2008

We’re still here. In Colorado.

I’ll try to give a recap of the moving-in, readjusting process but, honestly, I’m tired of recaps. Recaps are so last month. Hopefully this will be the last. But I’m obliging this last time because I know that at least my family (which includes Amanda and Sandi) is anxious to hear and see the details of “their new Colorado vacation home”.


Last Wednesday we flew from Costa Rica to Miami and on to Colorado. It was such a strange feeling arriving to the Denver airport and having it be our final destination. We’ve only been through this airport a few times and this was the first it was home.

Jeremy and Joanna graciously retrieved us from the airport late Wednesday night. The greeted us with a name sign because they know it warms my heart. Both being greeted by familiar faces and feeling important enough to warrant a cardboard sign with “Johnson” written on it.

We arrived to Denver wearing the only clean clothes in our possession and carrying bags full of clothing so dirty, sweaty and smelly that I guarantee security did not search our bags in the airport. We easily could have transported the monkey I nearly stole from the beach in Costa Rica in those bags unquestioned. Had we plugged his tiny little monkey nose.

So Wednesday night we were reintroduced to American life. I was so happy to drink water directly from the faucet that I had to resist the urge to fill up all of our water bottles and hoard them in my purse. The ridiculous amount of time I spent in the (warm!) shower is a whole separate matter.

For Josh it was the cereal and cold milk. Bowls and bowls of it. At midnight.

So Thursday we signed the lease to our new apartment and began to move in. Not usually an excited grocery-shopper, I was thrilled to push a cart down every single aisle marveling at all of the familiar and safe foods to choose from. It was such a fun experience to stock my COMPLETELY EMPTY refrigerator and kitchen. No longer do I have to look at the ground beef in the freezer left by my best friend who lived with us last summer or the fat free ice cream that seemed like a good idea at the time. Among other random condiments that never get eaten. And I got to push a shopping cart! A shiny! New! Cart! It was glorious.

And Josh rewarded me by making homemade sushi!

And then we slept on our sleeping mats in the bedroom floor.

Friday the movers brought all of our posessions from the storage unit and I sat in the floor, paralyzed in a fit of anxiety amidst cardboard and rubbermade boxes. But I had three days to get it all together before I began my new job so Friday we worked incredibly hard and non-stop until we had ourselves 90% moved-in! Did I mention that the past few days the temperature has been in the upper 90’s? And that we haven’t had income for the past 3 months and, therefore, air conditioning is a luxury that zero income does not afford?

After hours and hours of work, our mental conditions began to deteriorate. Taking into account our exhaustion, the excessive temperature and Josh’s beard length (which has everything to do with one’s mental/psychological state), this is pretty much how the situation broke down…

And then we slept in our own bed for the first time in 2 1/2 months.

Saturday we continued to empty boxes, arrange furniture and run errands. And, after 11 weeks, finally, finally, finally, Josh trimmed THE BEARD. And the people rejoiced.

Sunday we visited Jeremy and Joanna’s church service and spent the afternoon hiking in the mountains. God and mountains. Blue sky and friends.

Monday I started orientation. And so normal life resumes. Only this time as a labor and delivery nurse.

Josh also will be starting his work as a research assistant at the University by next week.

We’re looking forward to catching up with you all. And we almost have the guest room ready for your visit. Book your flights.


4 Responses to “”

  1. schmanda said

    You know, there is this thing called “cleaning out your refrigerator” some people do it on a semi-regular basis as an alternative to moving.


  2. Sandi said

    Yea!!!! I miss you so! I will put a fare watcher out for denver. Sorry I wasn’t there to help you unpack, of course I would’ve striked without AC. Have a small something to put in the mail and will do so in the next couple days. Got your post card yesterday. We have a new dog if I haven’t yet mentioned this. Life is hectic and lonely without our Jesus friends to keep us in check. When are you moving back to Ohio??? (hehehe) Call me!!!!

  3. Amy said

    Awesome; a labor and delivery nurse. And those blessed ladies by having you as their nurse; I would only be so lucky..

  4. jo said

    What is your schedule this week?
    I have Mon, Tues, Wed off.
    Perhaps we could do something together . . .
    call or text me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: